
Somehow I forgot to post these pictures back in May... ?!
About two weeks ago, Andrew was playing his bass at home when Wayne asked him to come help him with something. Andrew leaned his bass against the couch (a big no, no... he is supposed to lay it down) and while he was helping Wayne, his bass slid off the couch, hit the floor, and broke in half at the neck. It was shocking. We panicked and then he cried. I think it is interesting after hours and hours of practice, how we can develop an emotional attachment to an instrument. We have insurance, they are going to replace his instrument, but there is something sad about loosing that instrument and seeing what you love broken on the floor. I am sure that if you play or have played an instrument and loved it, that you know what I am talking about. I understand his feelings.
Andrew is doing fantastic. He is taking private lessons which is a good thing because he loves to be challenged but it makes the music and the tempo way too easy when he plays with his orchestra. He looks bored at his concerts... he almost never looks at his music and instead looks all around like he doesn't even have to think about what his hands are doing on his instrument. Junior High will be fun because he can advance to more challenging orchestras as his skills improve instead being stuck at the general level of the rest of the fifth graders. His private teacher is really impressed with him as are the other parents and students that listen to Andrew's lesson while they are waiting in the hall for their lessons.
I love that he loves it. It is so fun to be so proud of your children. Don't you agree?! Of course, I always adore them... even when they drive me nuts!
About two weeks ago, Andrew was playing his bass at home when Wayne asked him to come help him with something. Andrew leaned his bass against the couch (a big no, no... he is supposed to lay it down) and while he was helping Wayne, his bass slid off the couch, hit the floor, and broke in half at the neck. It was shocking. We panicked and then he cried. I think it is interesting after hours and hours of practice, how we can develop an emotional attachment to an instrument. We have insurance, they are going to replace his instrument, but there is something sad about loosing that instrument and seeing what you love broken on the floor. I am sure that if you play or have played an instrument and loved it, that you know what I am talking about. I understand his feelings.
Andrew is doing fantastic. He is taking private lessons which is a good thing because he loves to be challenged but it makes the music and the tempo way too easy when he plays with his orchestra. He looks bored at his concerts... he almost never looks at his music and instead looks all around like he doesn't even have to think about what his hands are doing on his instrument. Junior High will be fun because he can advance to more challenging orchestras as his skills improve instead being stuck at the general level of the rest of the fifth graders. His private teacher is really impressed with him as are the other parents and students that listen to Andrew's lesson while they are waiting in the hall for their lessons.
I love that he loves it. It is so fun to be so proud of your children. Don't you agree?! Of course, I always adore them... even when they drive me nuts!

1 comments:
Oh, what a sad story about the bass! I guess by now the school must have replaced the instrument? Andrew, I am very impressed that you would choose to learn to play this instrument!!!
Post a Comment